In order to attract high-skilled workers from foreign countries, Canada launched a so-called Global Skills Strategy in 2017. It aims to provide a more efficient and faster process for eligible employees and companies by offering two-week permit processing and short-term work permit exemptions.
Canada has recently introduced an update of the Global Talent Occupations List, which will affect foreigners with certain occupations applying for the Global Talent Stream Category B.
These will be:
– Information systems testing technicians
– Web designers and developers
– Computer network technicians
– Mathematicians and statisticians
– Software engineers and designers
– – Computer and information systems managers
– Digital media designers
– Creative, technical and artistic directors as well as project managers, producers
– Computer programmers and interactive media developers
– Database analysts and data administrators
– Information systems analysts and consultants
– Computer engineers
Consequently, science, engineering and architecture managers have been removed from the list while computer network technicians have been added to it. Furthermore, the requirements for a new minimum wage have been published for certain professions.
Those applying for occupations being removed from the Global Talent Occupations List will continue to be accepted until 4th of August 2019.